We were sent a Letterbox cake to review by Bakerdays which is based in Nottinghamshire. Was a sweet surprise to come home to find a cute little box through our letter box which the postman dropped off and just in time to celebrate our son’s 5th Birthday. He was totally excited to see the cake which he picked the design for. The whole packaging looked beautifully presented in a cute round cake box. We were surprised that the cake and the icing was all intact and not damaged at all especially since it was delivered via the post. The letterbox cake is about 5″ in diameter, hence perfect for serving 4 portions. Bakerdays also do cupcakes, small, medium and large cakes which can feed up to 55 people so you do have a choice or ordering larger cakes if you want.
What flavours do the cakes come in ?
There are a variety of flavours which they offer including gluten and wheat free cakes. Here’s the full list:
- Traditional sponge cake with jam & buttercream (This is the standard cake and comes with vanilla butter cream filling).
- Fruit cake with jam (Moist and tasty cake for fruit lovers)
- Rich Chocolate Chip Cake (Using real chocolate chips to create the ultimate chocolate cake)
- Gluten & wheat free sponge cake with jam & buttercream with a hint of coconut
- Half sponge and half chocolate chip cake with buttercream
- Dairy free sponge cake with jam
- Red Velvet Sponge Cake (seasonal only)
- Lovely lemon drizzle cake (seasonal only)
- Marble cake
- Vanilla cupcake
- Chocolate cupcake
Here’s a photo our our son who recently turned 5-years-old, he picked the flavour, which was rich chocolate chip cake and decided on the design as well which was Iron Man cake for his 5th Birthday. The orginal design of the cake did not have the number 5 on it, but we contacted the staff and they were happy to insert the number for us. He was all smiles when he got it.
What we like about Bakerdays
- You can personalise the cakes even including your photo or message with a choice of up to 1000 designs
- The staff were super friendly and accommodating with our request
- They do Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Wheat Free Cake
- If you order by 2pm, you can get next day delivery with weekend and worldwide delivery. So its great when you need a cake in a hurry.
- The letterbox cake came ready with 3 balloons and 2 candles, and a party blower so we were party ready!
- Their packaging is comendable as it was really secure and did not damage the cake or its icing at all when we received it
- You can pre-order the cake up to 1 year in advance so you don’t ever need to miss a birthday.
- The cake can be delivered overseas as well (do check the list of countries they deliver to)
What we thought about it?
This is a really nice idea especially if you would like to send someone a cake as a gift or when they are travelling or staying away like in a boarding school or holidaying somewhere. The design and packaging was really good. Flavour wise it was nice but we still prefered our home made cakes. We are not sure why, maybe because it was made too perfectly and reminded us of pre-made cakes sold in the supermarkets. The concept is totally fabulous, and I am sure others may prefer the flavour more than us. But we have to admit it is a great idea!
How much was the letterbox cake?
This letterbox cake cost £15.99
How can I order a letterbox cake?
Head to Bakerdays website and follow their instruction to pick the cake of your choice.
You may also want to read this: Snact Fruit Jerky Review
* We were sent the letterbox cake from Bakerdays in return for a review. All opinions are our own.