We love farms and living just on the boarder of Cheshire and Staffordshire, we are so lucky to have so many around our doorstep such as Wheelock Hall Farm, Blaze Farm and Ice Cream Farm. Hence we would love to share with you about LEAF Open Farm Sunday which will be happening this Sunday, 10 June 2018. There will be hundreds of farmers across the country who will open their gates to welcome the public and showcase all that British agriculture delivers. So to experience the magic of farming at first hand. Its a fabulous event to participate with the whole family. If you would like to know which farms are open around your area, click here. Remember to enter the location / area / region which you want to visit.
What is LEAF Open Farm Sunday ?
It is The Great British Farm Day and offers a unique chance to see what happens beyond the farm gate and show your support for British farming. If you love all things farm, then this is your opportunity to talk to farmers and find the answers to the questions you’ve always wanted to ask… and even some you’ve never thought of!
As well as producing nutritious food, farmers also grow crops for medicines and clothes, as well as crops used for fuel and building homes. Farmers care for over 70% of our countryside, manage vital resources like water and soil, maintain miles of footpaths and hedgerows and provide homes for wildlife.
How much do they cost?
Most Open Farm Sunday events are free and farms of every type and size take part offering a range of activities – in fact there is something for everyone to enjoy with lots to see, experience and learn. On LEAF Open Farm Sunday you can learn more about how your food is produced as well as….discover why worms are so important for the soil, why there wouldn’t be much fruit and veg without bees, and how farmers look after animals like cows, sheep and pigs, and care for wildlife too. You can also see science in action, including how farmers use the latest technology to farm sustainably and maybe take a peek inside a state of the art tractor. On many farms you will be able to take a farm walk or guided tractor and trailer ride, follow a nature trail and of course, talk to the people that make this all happen, the farmers!
Here are some of the farms which will be participating on the Open Day :
Whitegate Farm BL5 1AD
- View calves, cows and Elsalvador the bull.
- See cows being milked
- View and sit on tractors
- Farm walk
- Free entry
Riverside Organic CW97RH
- Farm walk
- Bottle feeding
- Tractor & Trailer rides
- Paint a pot
- Meet the animals
- Barbecue- Organic burgers
- Cafe selling homemade cakes
- Milk Daisy our wooden cow
Rowlands’ Red Polls (The Grange Farm) CH2 4EB
- Guided farm walks at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Meet some of our rare breed Red Poll cattle
- View some of our past and planned conservation work
- Our farm shop selling our own Red Poll beef is open from 10:00 a,m. to 4:00 p.m. on the day
Stockley Farm Park CW9 6LZ
- See sheep shearing
- Learn all about cows
- Discover the story of milk in guided parlour tours
- John Hood, agronomist, will be explaining what we grow, why and how here at Stockley
- Vintage tractor
Lower Drayton Farm ST19 5RE
Farmer Ray will take you on a tour of our 600 acre farm to showcase some of the weird and wonderful animals that we keep alongside our beef suckler herd.
He will also show the crops that we grow and satisfy your curiosity about ‘what goes on behind the hedge.
Packington Fields Farm WS14 9PN
- Visit our free range pig farm for the day and explore how our free range pigs live.
- You can see our pigs in the natural environment. Enjoying straw beds, wallows, individual farrowing paddocks
- Tractor and trailer rides
- Visit the sows and piglets
- Hold a piglet
- Inflatable bouncy slide (Small cost) – Raising money for Midland Air Ambulance
- Craft tent
What does LEAF Stand For?
LEAF stands for Linking Environment And Farming and its the leading organisation delivering more sustainable food and farming.