If you are an avid reader of our blog then you know how much we love reading books and how much we encourage our children to read as well. Hence we are happy to share with you another children’s book review titled James and the Birthday Balloon writen by local Children’s book author Nicola J Rowley. This is an uplifting picture book suitable for kids aged 3 to 7 about James who loves spreading happiness through small acts of kindness. In this book he’s at the birthday party of his best friend Ruby, when she falls and hurts herself. She’s scared as she has to go to the hospotal and doesn’t know what to expect. What will James do to help her? …we will leave your imagination to it and won’t devulge too much details about the story.
What’s great about the book?
- This is a reassuring story for any child faced with having to go to hospital, and how James saves the day with a small act of kindness and a smile that soon spreads throughout the hospital.
- £1 will be given for every copy sold to help support Evelina London Children’s Hospital, which provides care and life-saving treatment for children in south London and beyond.
- Each copy of the book will also include a free audio recording of the story by TV’s Dr Ranj Singh (CBeebies, ITV’s This Morning).
What our kids thought about the book?
The book was easy to hold and only had 24 pages hence perfect for little hands to hold and turn the pages easily. Both our 7+ and 5 year-old read the book easily without any difficulty, they also enjoyed the book which had lots of colourful pictures inside. They said that they did not like the part when Ruby fell and hurt herself but felt good when James gave his balloon to his friend Ruby. Reading the book they realised that it was important to be kind to others .
We are giving away 3 signed copies of book, James and the Birthday Balloon and here’s how you can win a copy for yourself :
Congrats to the 3 Winners, here are their names:
- Hannah Wood
- Rachel Selmes
- Shelley White
Terms & Conditions:
* Prize is not exchangeable for cash and not transferable
* Open to residents of the United Kingdom Only
* All entries must be received by Fri, 20 April 2018 (midnight).
* The winner will be chosen at random
* The winner will be notified via the email address. They have 48 hours to respond and claim their prize after being notified, after which time the prize will be considered unclaimed and will be re-assigned using a random selection method.
* Submission of a posting will be taken to mean acceptance of the rules and terms and conditions.
* The winner will be published on the original giveaway blog post.
* Prizes are administered separately by the Book Author and Yeah Lifestyle cannot be held responsible for problems related to fulfillment of prizes including non-delivery of the item
Here’s a short video of our kids reading a couple of the pages from the book:
How much is the book?
The paperback version retails on Amazon for £6.55, you can also get a kindle copy for £2.99.
How do I get a copy of the book?
Feel free to join our contest above as we have 3 copies of the book to give away to our UK readers. Alternatively you can also purchase the book online from Amazon here or from Nicola’s website. ISBN: 978-1788039130
About Nicola J Rowley
Born in Basildon, Essex..Nicola was lucky enough to have some great teachers both at primary and secondary school who inspired and helped her with her love of the written word. From the age of seven, she remembers wanting to be a writer or a poet. Somewhere along the way that dream was shelved as she became a journalist, radio newsreader, TV producer and reporter, before moving into Communications. In between it all, she also launched her own photography business, specialising in children and families, weddings and commercial imagery. Fast forward to now, she now has 2 books to her name, the first being James and the Amazing Gift while the second, James and the Birthday Balloon. It She is also working on several more pre-school books, aimed primarily at the 3-7 year-old market.
You may also want to read: Children’s Book Review: Parrots Don’t Live in the City
* We were sent a copy of the book for free in return for a review. All opinions are our own.