We were sent this beautiful subscription box from All Things Baked to bake up a Vegan Banana & Nut Flapjack from their Baker Box section to review. We received the box during the school holidays and thought that it was perfect timing as our kids were home and it was a great opportunity for us to spend some quality time baking together as a family. The whole process felt like it was a great experience, as the kids were easily kept busy for an hour, doing various things such as measuring the ingredients and mixing it up. This also meant that we had something healthy for them to snack on come snack time. Our box arrived beautifully packed with all the ingredients in it (except for the banana and almond milk). Here’s a short video of the kid’s unboxing the box.
There was a recipe card included in the box with step-by step instruction on one side and the list of ingredients on the other, so it was something my kids could easily read by themselves. Each of the items also came in the exact amount (or had to be measured out), which they enjoyed doing. The only thing I helped them with was the chopping of the hazelnuts as it involved using a knife. Here’s a shot of them reading from the recipe card
What we loved about it:
- Being avid bakers ourselves, we have always used quality ingredients when baking, hence we were totally impressed that they sent quality and organic ingredients in the box such as from Hampshire Food, Just Natural, Dr Oetker, Wilkin Sons Honey and Organic Marconi Olive Oil.
- We loved that most of the items were already in the box (the only thing for this recipe which was not included into the box were the bananas and soya milk) and we even had extra leftover ingredients but nothing was short.
- Our kids found the whole experience fun as they enjoyed measuring the ingredients, opening up the packs and mising it up in the bowl.
- The flapjack was totally healthy (compared to store bought ones), packed with so many nourishing ingredients with only couple of table spoons of honey and raisins to give it the sweatness
- It was a great family activity to do with the kids and kept them busy for an hour easily.
What we did not like about it:
The flapjack tasted really healthy and delicious and the smell of the cinnamon and flavour of the bananas came through well but we have to mention that the flapjack was a bit dry in texture and was not sweet at all. Perhaps a bit more honey would have given it a chewy texture. Also the measurement of the tray was not mentioned in the card, so we had to guess and ended up using the 10.5″ x 6″ tray which gave our flapjacks a thickness of 1.5cm in height.
We placed the tray into the oven and baked it for about 20 minutes. The smell was gorgeous as the house was filled with a cinnamon and bananas smell and our kids came running into the kitchen to keep checking if the flapjacks were ready to eat.
We loved it! The experience of keeping the little ones busy for about an hour, doing something fun and exciting was just great. We think baking is a great skill to have and by doing this together, we spent some quality time together and learning so many new skills as well. This would also be a great present to give someone as its so fun and easy to do. If we do this again, we would pick another box, as the kids did not enjoy eating the flapjack as much. We have to mention that the flapjacks were delicious and it was a great energy booster, but the adults preferred it more than the kids.
What is a subscription box ?
Things to note:
- All Thing Baked also have Vegan & Gluten Free Box available. They both cost £14.99 per month.
- The boxes tend to be shipped out on the 10th of every month, so make sure you put in your order by the 7th at the latest.
How do I subscribe to All things Baked and how much is it?
Step 1: Order your box by subscribing to their monthly boxes online or purchase your one off gift subscriptions which are also through the website in the store section. The normal baker box costs £9.99 while the Vegan & Gluten free box costs £14.99. You can join and cancel anytime so there is no long term commitment.
Step 2: Wait for your box to arrive in the post. (Please check ship dates in the store section as they only send boxes once a month ie on the 10th.
Step 3: Open your box to find your surprise ingredients, decorations, the step by step recipe card and get baking!
About All Things Baked
You may also want to read this : We reviewed the iPad / Tablet Bean Bag
* We were sent the Vegan Banana & Nut Flapjack Box in exchange for a review. All opinions are our own.