We were sent a lovely box of meat and vegetable concentrated stock by the team at Essential Cuisine which is based in Winsford, Cheshire to try out and review for our site. The box consisted of four 150g bottles of chicken stock, beef stock, lamb stock as well as vegetable stock. It stated that these stocks were high quality glaces made for chef by chefs which is prepared for hours and is recommended to be used in stocks, stews / tagines, stir fry, slow cooking, pasta / risotto or soups / broths. Being avid cooks and foodies, we decided to test these stocks and to try them.
Roast Chicken Dinner with Gravy
I used The Chicken Stock to make my gravy for the Roast Dinner. First I cooked the veg for my roast in a pan of boiling water and then removed the veg and set it aside and left the water so that I could use it for the gravy. Next, I added in some stock (amount was as per the recommended instructions for the quantity of water I was using). This meant that I actually needed to use almost half the contents of the bottle. The gravy turned out clear and shiny with a clear finish which you generally don’t get with stock cubes.
Beef Bolognese Recipe
500g lean minced beef
two handfuls of fresh spinach finely chopped
1/2 a large onion
1 can or carton of chopped tomatoes and the same volume of water (use can to measure it out)
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp of tomato puree to intensify tomato flavour
4 tbsp of beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
A very small pinch of bicarbonate of soda to reduce the acidity of the tomato.
In pan, add oil then add all the vegetables to softened them. Next add in the mince and cook until browned. Add in the tomato and water and the beef stock and cook it on a low heat for around 40min.
I usually put in a stock cube but I the flavour is not noticeable however the flavour of the concentrated beef stock in this really brightened up the dish. The flavours were pronounced and it tasted really fresh, and the whole family enjoyed it. We definitely noticed the difference in flavour!
- Lost for recipe ideas? Head to their website and click ‘Recipes’ for some inspiration
- The concentrated stocks are gluten free as well as free from declarable allergens stocks
- The concentrated stocks are also vegan and vegetarian stocks
- Free shipping via SousChef on orders above £35
- No MSG is used in their stocks
- They are a British company based in Winsford, Cheshire and all of their products including their stocks, glaces, and gravies are produced in the UK
- All of their stock products have appropriate salt levels and meet the Department of Health 2017 guidelines. At an average level of stock usage, 100ml of prepared stock has only 0.56g of salt.
For over 20 years Essential Cuisine have been crafting premium, British-made cooking stocks and the finest gravies found on these shores, all in the pursuit of quality, versatility and most importantly of all; taste and flavour! Essential Cuisine is used nationwide by great British chefs, but they believe that such quality shouldn’t be reserved for chefs alone, which is why their products are now also available to home cooks.
You may also want to read this: Getting hot &spicy with East Coast Chilli Co. Sauces
* We were sent the stock bottles for free in return for a review. All opinions are our own.